January is my quiet month and it’s also a lazy one. I am no fan of the cold and find it only useful to bring in snow because a girl likes the view of a winter wonderland! But, yeah, when’s spring, again?
This month I’m finishing up the first draft of the sequel to Deathly Touch, Deathly Dreams. Look out for the cover in the next newsletter or two. I hope to release it in late April. Then I’ll be moving on to write the sequel to Dark Hauntings. I’m slowing down so just those two are my publishing goals for the year.
I’m looking for ARC listeners for the final audio book (for now 😉 ) in the Paranormal World Series, Mystic Souls. If you are interested in listening in exchange for a review on audible, please contact me!
Next month, be on the look out for a couple of Valentine’s Day Sales I’ll be having on my PNR books…
How I’m Inspired
Finally, I’m picking back up on horror movies that inspired me. If you recall, I am a HUGE horror movie fan, so it stands to reason that I’m going to be influenced by them. Here are the next five movies that affected my writing and how:
- 30 days of night- First, I’m a huge vampire fan and I liked that this one did not romantize them, which was unique and terrifying. I also liked the bond between the lead male character and his brother (Amina and Charles, anyone?).
- The Conjuring– This one is all about the supernatural and family and love. The franchise is a favorite of mine. I love the bond of the family and the ghosts experts. They supported each other very well through horrifying times. The theme of helping in odd and scary times is huge between The Six in my books.
- The Mist– Monsters, both the human and beast kind, make this a good watch. I’m always fascinated how people show their true colors or revert to their worse selves when faced with troubling times. When the supernatural come in the mist, you see how a small group of people trapped in a grocery store come undone. My Paranormal World Universe is all about how humanity changes and adapts when the supernatural take over and if you’ve read any of the books, you know it’s not all holding hands and helping.
- 28 days later– Again, another apocalyptic movie that I enjoyed. It starts showing how the main character fights to survive after waking up in a horrifying world and how humanity responds and changes. As I noted, this is huge in my books which are post-apocalyptic.
- Poltergeist– Another family supernatural tale. If you can’t tell, I’m big on themes of friendship and family in scary times and how supportive and sacrificing they can be. There are siblings in my Paranormal World books and in Deathly Touch (and will be in the Dark Hauntings sequel). I also have a sister, so it just feels natural.
If you haven’t gotten the chance to check it out, now’s the time to read the short story anthology from Diverse Books with Magic, Girls of Might and Magic, filled with tales of powerful, magical young women from diverse backgrounds.
Join my new reader group for beta read opportunities and even more inside information like character takeovers, Cat’s Corner: New Adult Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance Group. Thanks!
Till next time and as always, if you’ve read my books I am always appreciative of a review on Amazon and Goodreads. I read them and they help me grow as a writer and know my audience better. Also follow me on instagram and facebook for more information.